Wednesday 22 June 2016

In The Dark By Lila Rose



Mothers were supposed to love unconditionally. Mine didn't. In fact, she tried to kill me on my thirteenth birthday, when she saw just how different I was. My dad saved my life that night. He also took her away on an extended vacation, leaving me with an ever-absent uncle. 

Five years later, solitude was something I lived by. I had to because I was different and people tended not to cope well with the unusual. In fact, they hated me for it, were even scared of me because of it. 

I thought I was meant to live alone, until Isaac Grey took notice of me. He changed my life, taught me I wasn't the only one who was different, and I didn't need to be alone. 

But with love comes sacrifice and then pain. Could I ever escape living in the dark? 


This author never ceases to amaze me. I had the honour of meeting the lovely Lila Rose too at Four Brits Book Fest this year. She's so lovely. I've never met a nicer person... I felt like I had met my idol. I adore and love her books, as a person she is even more amazing. 

Paranormal, as some of my readers may already know, know that I'm not really a huge fan. Something has to really stick out for me to want to read it. 

When I cam across In the Dark I was like... when the hell did this release? I'm obsessed with new releases so I'm gutted I missed one from my favourite author. 
Anyway, I downloaded the sample and I don't know why I bothered. I only read two pages before I had bought the full ebook. 

Leila, after being abandoned by her mother and father, grows up with an absent uncle. But nothing is as normal as it seems. There are reasons for why her parents left and why her uncle is absent. 

When Issac moves to town with his father, brother and sister, Leila feels a connection to him from the very beginning. He keeps himself to himself, much like Leila, plus, he too, keeps a secret of his own. 

I guessed what both were from the very beginning but I liked how Lila put a twist to their stories. It wasn't your every day myths, or typical knowledge of what you presume them to be like. She made it so much more. 

I loved all the characters, every single one. I honestly loved it. I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until early hours of the morning reading it and I am not sorry. I'm not sorry I spent the rest of the next day wondering what the hell I was going to do with my life now these characters were no longer in them. 

The story line has been so well thought out. The only thing I would have liked was a little more detail on their backgrounds, like why Leila is the only one of her kind with two coloured eyes, and why it makes her special. I got WHY to some extent, but I needed more, but that's me. I like to understand things better. 
The one other thing was the mother part. Her dad explains why he was away, why it was important but since there's no talk of a follow up, I was wondering why, since she disappeared, do none of them care. I thought she was going to turn up at the end and shock us all but NOPE. 

The book has so many twist and turns and so much happening, but not too much that it overwhelms you. She seriously needs to write another one. I thought her MC series were the bomb, but this book.... Oh my God, another top favourite for this year. 

5 well deserved *


Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment