Thursday 21 July 2016

Half-Blood (A Covenant novel #1) By Jennifer L. Armentrout



The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.


This book kind of reminds me of the Starcrossed trilogy I read not to long ago. It's pretty much the same story line... kinda. 
It has the Gods, the forbidden love triangle, where she can't be with one but can with the other. 

Alex is a ballsy character. She doesn't take any shit and seems to rush in too quickly into certain situations. She doesn't think first. 
One thing that Alex is truly afraid of, that all half-bloods are afraid of and that is becoming a slave/servant. 

She falls for Aiden pretty quickly, without too much chemistry between them. I felt like something was missing, that connection that would drive them to break the one rule that is engraved to them since birth. Half-bloods can't have a relationship with pures. 

Although I felt like the story was a slow start it was interesting to read. I loved her friendship with Caleb. I really liked his character. 


Then we have Seth, the Apollyon, the arrogant, self absorbed, reckless and so used to getting his way. I don't trust Seth, and I don't particularly like him but there is just something that makes you laugh when he opens his mouth. 

I do love Aiden though and I can see this up coming love triangle driving me mad. I HATE love triangles, people who can't make their minds up make me want to bang their head up a wall. It's like the feeling you get when you ask someone what they want to eat and they say you choose. So you choose but then they say 'no, I don't fancy that' it's frustrating as hell and all I wanted to do was groan all the way through it. 

Aiden is incredibly sweet though so he does have my vote. 

3.5*  

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment