Sunday 26 February 2017

Kick Push (The Road #2) By Jay McLean



There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good. 
Three if you’re really good. 
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere 
beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you. 
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the 
greatest feeling in the world. 
Then at seventeen, I had my son. 
And every single second became a defining moment. Even the ones that consisted of heartbreak when his mother left us.

Seventeen. Single. Dad. 
That’s what my life became. 
Yet, every day, I managed to find that feeling of being 
airborne.
Or at least I convinced myself I did. 
But I lied—to myself and to everyone around me. 
Until she showed up; Tanned skin, raven dark hair, and eyes the color of emeralds.

You know what sucks about being in the air? 
Coming down from the high. 
Sometimes you land on the board and nail the trick. 
Then kick, push, and coast away. 
Other times you fall. 
You fall hard. 
And those are the times when it’s not as easy to get back up, dust off your pads and try again.
Especially when the girl with the emerald eyes becomes your drug...
And you become her poison.


Oh My God... This book. 

The story starts off with Josh, a teenage boy with a pregnant girlfriend. He's kicked out of his house and with no where to go, he moves in with his girlfriend and her parents. But then she has the baby and leaves. She leaves him with a new born baby and nowhere to go after her parents tell him to leave. 
It broke my heart reading this part because as a parent, I know how hard it is to raise a child and wanting to give them everything they need. But his situation was so much worse. His parents kicked him out, wanting nothing to do with him, he was a teen, no car, no job, no money and now had a new born baby. 

But then he's helped by a stranger and with her help, he makes it and boy does he rock at being a dad. 

Three years later, Becca moves in next door with the stranger who has become Josh, and Tommy's family.

I didn't even know what to make of Becca at first. She seemed TOO weird and not at all approachable. I had an incline she didn't have a good past and it's confirmed at the end of the book. Yes, her story broke my heart. 
Her past has shaped her, molded her into the girl she is. 
Not only does she not talk (although she can) because of an accident she was in, she's also troubled mentally. 

I wouldn't even call this book a romance novel because although the two no doubt love each other, the book was more. It was a journey of struggle, of pain, of heartbreak, but most of all of courage and strength.
It was heartbreaking and heartwarming all at the same time. 

There's one part in the book where Josh finally breaks down that I had my own melt down. I sobbed like a freaking baby and couldn't stop. I've felt those days. I think everyone could relate to that part in the book where everything becomes to much and starts piling on one mess and another and before you know it, you snap, screaming out your pain to the end of the world and back, hoping someone, anyone can hear your pain. Josh did that and it really tore my insides apart. I just wanted to reach inside the book, pull him out, and tell him everything was going to be okay. 

The book does end on a cliffy. 
I haven't started the second book yet, I need time to recover from this one. There's only so much heartache I can take lol 
But I will be reading it. I want to see how the characters develope and if they find there way back to the places they want to be. 

4*


Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment