Monday 13 October 2014

Risk (Gentry Boys #2) By Cora Brent



TRULY...
My life hasn't been uneventful and a few things should have sunk in by now. I'm a tired age twenty one with a laundry list of heartbreaks. Most of all, I know what carnage comes from carelessly risking the heart. So what drives me to jump into bed with a brooding player who can barely carry a conversation?
It was supposed to be just one night.
One night of weakness, of passion, of every impulse I'd struggled to contain.
Yet I can't stop myself from going back for more.
 
CREED...
Violence had always found us Gentrys but this time I'd put the price on my own head. It was my cross to bear. No flinching allowed. There was only room for me, my brothers, and the resolve to survive. That's all there ever had been.
There was certainly no reason for more than than a quick and dirty time with any girl, no matter how much she turned my head around.
I shouldn't hold on to her for more than a few hours. I shouldn't even think about it. This thing could finish us both.
It doesn't matter. She's all I want.


I liked the first book in the Gentry boys series, but just like the first novel I felt like this lacked something. I don't know what or how the best way to describe it. I felt like an emotion or something was missing from the book. 

Creed, although is a triplet, comes across as the eldest brother. I don't picture them as triplets. I always feel Creed is the eldest, Cord is the middle child and Chase is the youngest. It's just the way they are preserved in the stories. The way they act, the way they treat each other, when really they should be equal. But it doesn't come across like that, not that I mind, I like that they all look the same, but all have different personalities. 
Creed is the mysterious one out of the group, the protector, the one who cares deeply on the inside but doesn't let it show to anyone other than his brothers. 
So when he made the deal with the devil in the first novel I honestly didn't know what to expect in this novel. I wish the deal part had played out differently, but it still worked, it just lacked emotion, any drive to make you want to say 'oh no'. 
I tried my hardest to connect to that part of the book but I just couldn't. 

Then we have Truly. Her name kind of annoyed me LOL because I kept saying it as a word and not a name. Not  the authors fault, my own LOL such a petty comment I know, but I should warn others who tend to do the same. 
I really loved her character. I wasn't too keen on her past story. It made it come across like something terrible had happened. Like when she admitted to something she did for the reason she left home, she makes it sound like her sisters never knew the truth. So it made me think it wasn't as straight forward as she told it. But then she tells Creed everything and it really is as straight forward. I think she overacted a little. I also know someone with the same story as Truly. Sleeping with their moms boyfriend and getting pregnant. I know that this can happen. I just didn't feel sorry for her if that makes sense. 

Okay well enough of the babbling. You've heard enough, but it is a good series too read even if my review comes across as negative, it's still a fantastic read. It's one I'll be waiting to read the next one. 

4*

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment